Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Priorities Blog #4

    I think something important to members of Coldstream is priding our self on being different from other towns, and although the easy thing to do when asked where we are from is to say Vernon (which is what I do) most people actually say Coldstream. My mom always says Coldstream and it actually just bugs me because then she has to explain where it is and that it is pretty much connected to Vernon...blah blah, but the point being that a lot of the members of the community are happy about being part of Coldstream and happy we are a separate community.


    As I mentioned in the last blog, a recreation or leisure centre would really benefit our community and help us become even more independent and this is something that is priority to people like my mom. The horse crap problem can probably be put on the back burner for the time being (if you didn't read my last blog you wont know what I'm talking about). I know almost all members of the community would be willing to contribute to building a rec centre or at least support the idea and i know this because Coldstream is a very active community. In the summer you can always see people going for jogs and training for their sport; come winter there is no more swimming in Kalamalka or Okanagan lake, rarely will you see people jogging and you for sure don't see any skateboarders or Rollerblades outside. With a rec centre containing a pool, skate park and indoor track it would solve these problems and like I said allow us to stay in our community and not have to go into Vernon.


I cant speak for everyone but I know my family as well as most of the other families would be willing to give financial aid for something like this to happen. Like I said most people value active lifestyles and community independence, which is why there would be no problem to get enough people behind the idea. Obviously everyone likes to enjoy the nice weather but I think the indoor rec centre is priority right now for the community of Coldstream and I know most have the same stand as me. (Below is a nice little sketch I did for what this rec centre should look like, well actually I obviously didn't sketch this but yeah you get the idea.)


As for other people involved besides people within our community I actually think Oprah or Bill Gates should just give us some of there pocket change to get this thing underway. Done deal, everyone happy.
   

4 comments:

  1. Great post Kyle, always nice to hear some emotional and honest opinions in a blog that is obviously close to heart. I can imagine your frustration, being from a town that had many neighbouring small communities that lack a recreation centre. Hopefully Billy Gates and the Oprah can hear your pleas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a very good solution. I am from Bragg Creek so I too tend to take the easy route and say I am from Calgary.
    I think that having a rec center in smaller communities is so important. It can bring small communities even closer, it gives people the freedom to be active year around, and it contributes to the identity of the town. Now if only funding were that easy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good posting Kyle! I really like that through all of your blogs, your tone never changes. You really brought your personality to your writing and it is very well done. I found it very interesting that you believe people would be willing to give financially because I can see that being a large obstacle to over come in the future of a recreation/leisure center. Having people verbally support an project is one thing but to put their wallets behind it means they are truly serious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. I always enjoy reading your posts Kyle. You are very opinionated and it's certainly commical to the readers. A recreation center would definitely be a huge addition for the beautiful town of Coldstream. ( almost as much as picking up the horse crap would ) I hope it happens and although the funding is not quite there I could see it happening in the future as Coldstream continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete