Monday, January 24, 2011

BLOG#1 Community Development Through Sport

 

     The article on community development through sport caught my eye simply for the fact that it demonstrates examples of how sporting programs as well as sport in general can really be a useful tool in community development. The article is mainly targeted on programs in the UK and doesn't exactly go into much detail on the programs mentioned but gives a summary on how they are effective in community development.


    To give examples, there are programs such as The "Healthy Living Centres program" which encourages participation in sport and physical activity, which in return increases peoples health and well-being as well it up-skills and empowers communities. Also mentioned is the "Step Into Sport" program which is said to encourage young members of communities to volunteer and then rewards them for doing so with vocational qualifications and experience. These are just two examples of little things that communities do involving sport and physical activity with the idea of developing the individuals and the community as a whole.
   The article  states that by involving sport in a community it leads to community engagement, builds cohesiveness and capacity within the community as we as develops social capital. I think all these points are pretty hard to argue with as most people can probably relay back to a time where sport helped your community development at one time or another.

   For me personally, I can for sure relate to what this article says. I grew up in a small town in Northern Alberta, called High Level where there is not a whole lot to do. From my experience one of the biggest things that helped our community develop and come together was sport. Although hockey is big pretty much everywhere in Canada, it is especially big in High Level; people love going and watching minor hockey games through out the whole winter and when it comes time for provincials the whole town in behind the players. In my time in High Level, we went to provincials almost every year and we always had sponsors from many businesses in town which helped us with jerseys, equipment, and travel to places. We were so far away from everything so travel was very expensive, taking buses was not cheap and through fundraisers and sponsors we were able to have competitive teams every year.


   High Level and hockey is just a Small example, how about Vancouver 2010? The Olympics took years of planning and this obviously took the effort of thousands within the Vancouver community to come together and be able to successfully host the event. Lets also not forget the potential for money to be made through sporting events. The Olympics brought Vancouver billions of dollars through hotel, food and beverage, transportation, the list goes on and on.

   The article just gives a small example of what sport can really do for communities and their development, people can be happier, people can be healthier, money can be made, friends can be made and the community becomes stronger. I cant really imagine a community without some form of sport.


Reference: Bowtell, j. (2006). Community Development Through Sport. London: London South Bank University http://www.sportdevelopment.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=607:community-development-through-sport&catid=49:socialinstrument&Itemid=65

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself. I too grew up in a small community and if it wasn't for sport I don't know how my community would have survived. I also like the fact that you commented on how money is a crucial part of sport but most notably hockey. A lot of families cannot afford to put their son or daughters through hockey - communites that donate a lot of their money towards sport are very lucky. Good entry man - looking forward to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Your last paragraph stands out to me Kyle. Sports in communities are extremely important and highly noticed. I also have played hockey for over 15 years and every year you have a different group of players. Every year you meet new people, create a new community and have fun and come together as a group. Sport makes peole happy, obviously keeps them healthy, and leaves a huge window of oppurtunity for business, and growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this article as well. Growing up in a small town in BC all we did was play sports day in and day out. Good job on relating the article to your own lifetstyle. Local businesses in my community also helped our teams go to provincials. Good job on the article man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me,the idea of a "'Step Into Sport' program which is said to encourage young members of communities to volunteer and then rewards them for doing so with vocational qualifications and experience" makes a ton of sense. The experience in sport and what people take from should be the focus even before skill development. I too can relate to the power of Sport in Northern Alberta.
    Well written Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Mr Pedro on this topic.
    Mr Pedro and his loan company gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Mr Pedro on a loan platform so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. With God willing they granted me a loan of 500,000.00 USD. The loan request that my banks here in Ecuador have turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Email/ Contact if you wish to apply for a loan from them.
    pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete